In 2008, the first version of the Android operating system was released. The software is being developed by the Open Handset Alliance led by Google. These smartphones are regularly supplied with new functions and security patches all over the world. Now Google has one Android update announced, from which initially only a part of the community should benefit. It’s appearing exclusively on Samsung-branded devices for now – and even they don’t all get it.
Android update for Samsung devices
As part of its Galaxy Unpacked, Samsung presented the new models in its Galaxy S22 series and the new Galaxy Tab S8 on Wednesday. There are also updates for the popular Galaxy Watch4 series. With the latest Android update, Google wants to go one better. The new devices from Samsung should achieve seven new functions.
In a post on Google’s The Keyword blog, TT Ramgopal, Google’s Director of Android Partner Engineering, explains what specific features you can expect:
- Live sharing on Google Duo
- You can now also share your screen in the video call via Google Duo.
- Preview YouTube videos in Google Messages
- Play the videos directly in Messenger without switching apps.
- voice access
- With this new feature, you no longer need your fingers to navigate your Samsung phone.
- Material You
- The dynamic theme design should prevail on all smartphones with Android 12.
- Google Play optimization for the Galaxy Watch4
- Install suggested Android apps on your phone with a simple tap.
- Google Assistant for wearables
- “In a few months” the language assistant should reach the Galaxy Watch4.
- YouTube Music Premium for smart watch
- You should then be able to easily stream music from YouTube via LTE or WLAN via the Samsung watch.
New Samsung phones
While you can currently get the Samsung Galaxy Watch4 on sale, the manufacturer unveiled some new products on Wednesday. The smartphones of the new flagship series are also part of the party. You can already pre-order the Samsung Galaxy S22 and download the Android update. The same applies to the S22+ and the S22 Ultra. On February 25, the devices should finally come into the stores.