Every day we ingest food that can harm us unexpectedly. Because most of them have several things on their daily menu that experts consider carcinogenic foods have been classified. They are proven to be hazardous to health, especially in special amounts. In addition, it is actually a question of seemingly harmless products, the effect of which is often not noticeable.
5 carcinogenic foods: You should be careful with these goods
For many, there is one message in particular that is difficult to take: meat, especially popular varieties such as beef, pork, but also lamb, contribute to an increased risk of cancer. This increases even more if the foods that are already carcinogenic with it smoked or cured became. Likewise leads spicy frying of meat or charring on the grill to the fact that carcinogenic substances are formed, reports the Deutschlandfunk, citing the German Cancer Society.
But not only meat, but also other staple foods and products, according to the assessment of the WHO and Stiftung Warentest, have long been proven to be dangerous because they promote or accelerate the growth of cancer cells: Sausage, milk, sugar and alcohol.
How big the risk is from these carcinogenic foods depends largely on the amount consumed. According to the WHO reports (via Stiftung Warentest), every third cancer disease is said to be attributable to an improper diet.
Do not exceed these amounts for carcinogenic foods
According to the Stiftung Warentest, certain and very specific quantities should not be exceeded for some of the carcinogenic foods, even if one Of course, 100 percent protection is not possible is. The verdict is particularly harsh because, for example, luxury foods such as beer, wine and gin can cause cancer in any amount. At least that can be done Reduce riskif this is known.
- # 1 Sausage, ham, and other processed meats: “As little as possible” is the verdict of Stiftung Warentest on the recommended maximum amount. Since 2015, these foods have been classified as “carcinogenic”, i.e. carcinogenic. Studies have proven the risk. who no more than 50 grams a day eats of it prevents the risk of colon cancer from increasing by 18 percent, according to the WHO.
- # 2 Red meat: Steak, mince and co. Are considered to be “probably carcinogenic” foods and should therefore not be consumed excessively. Maximum of 500 grams per week is the recommendation. notice: Poultry, game and offal are not included.
- # 3 milk: In the case of milk, the amount is particularly decisive. Between 0.2 and 0.8 liters per day should protect against colon and breast cancer. Men are advised against no more than 1.25 liters per day drink it because the amount of calcium it contains may increase the risk of prostate cancer.
- # 4 sugar: The food sugar is not directly carcinogenic, but indirectly, excessive consumption can lead to a higher risk. Obesity is the third largest contributor to cancer and is also caused by sugar. The recommendation is accordingly “Avoid being fat“.
- # 5 alcohol: Even if we already know, but according to Stiftung Warentest, “every glass is critical”. Already the WHO warns, “Alcohol increases the risk of cancer in any amount”. Seven types of the disease – in the oral cavity, esophagus, throat, intestines, liver and breast – are said to be attributable to alcohol. In general, alcohol should therefore be completely avoided. Whoever cannot do this will a maximum of one drink (women) or two drinks (men) per day suggested. A drink refers to 0.1 liter of wine or 0.3 liter of beer.
In general, make sure you eat a healthy diet: it helps prevent cancer
If you want to actively protect yourself against an increased risk of cancer through your own diet, you have a few options. In addition to the maximum consumption quantities of the known carcinogenic foods specified by the experts at the WHO and Stiftung Warentest, health can also be influenced. Above all, this includes paying attention to a healthy diet. This can also ensure better blood values:
- Eat lots of grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables
- Drink only a few sugary drinks
- As few salty foods as possible
The following information from the German Nutrition Society (via the cancer information service), which does not explicitly serve to prevent cancer, can also help to strengthen and maintain health:
- Choose whole grains
- Complete the selection with foods of animal origin
- Use health promoting fats
- Prepare gently
- Pay attention to your weight and keep moving
Conclusion: keep an eye on cancer-causing foods
You don’t have to give up your daily eating routines and favorite dishes. But if you want to protect yourself better, it is advisable to consume small amounts of the carcinogenic foods on your diet. A healthier diet can also have additional effects such as improved physical fitness, better concentration and generally better well-being.
by the way: Did you know that 3 “brain foods” can increase brain performance? There are also so-called superfoods, which can also be good for you. This is different with the following foods. One study reported an interesting finding about a purely vegetarian diet.
Sources: Stiftung Warentest, Deutschlandfunk, Cancer Information Service