Sometimes when we try to run a video game or a program that uses DirectX, an error message is displayed alerting us to the lack of a file called dinput8.dll, which prevents it from running. This file is one of many included by the DirectX library collection.
This problem can appear in most versions of Microsoft operating system: Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP and Windows 2000. In this article we will provide you with a guide to fix errors related to dinput8 .dll.
There are several ways that dinput8.dll errors show up once they are detected by the system. The most common are the following:
- The dinput8.dll file is missing.
- dinput8.dll not found.
- not foundor the dinput8.dll file.
- not foundor dinput8.dll. The reinstatementorI can’tito help solve this problem.
Error messages related to dinput8.dll are applicable to any program that uses the DirectX suite of libraries, but these messages are typically associated with running video games.
How To Fix dinput8.dll Errors
As a suggestion, never download or copy the dinput8.dll file individually from any site that offers it. By doing the above, you are exposed to downloading corrupted files and files with viruses that can affect the operation of your computer. Please try the following steps to try to repair dinput8.dll related errors:
- restart your computer if you haven’t already. Sometimes the operating system itself locks some files while they are being used by other programs. It can also happen that an update process is being carried out in the background that prevents access to certain files. Rebooting the system should release access to the file if this is the problem.
- Find and install the latest version of DirectX, for this you can be guided by the last paragraph of this article. Updating to the latest version will likely fix the dinput8.dll not found error as it replaces and writes all DirectX files. Microsoft regularly releases updates to fix bugs, so it is recommended to keep DirectX and the operating system updated. Different versions of Windows are supported by the installation package provided by Microsoft.
- If you install the latest version of DirectX and this does not fix the displayed dinput8.dll error, find the DirectX installer on the media where you have the video game or application installed. Generally, games and applications that use DirectX include a copy of the installer within their package. Sometimes, for compatibility reasons, the version of DirectX included in the installer is better suited to the program than the latest version available.
- Uninstall the game or program that fails to launch, and then reinstall it. It may happen that during the installation process there was a problem copying the files and a reinstallation could solve the problem.
- Restore the dinput8.dll file from the DirectX installation package. In this article we provide a guide on how to perform this process.
- Update your video and audio card drivers. Although it is not common for this to happen, updating your computer’s multimedia drivers may resolve any existing conflicts with the DirectX libraries.
In case you think you can’t solve the problem yourself or don’t want to, consult the support service you have contracted or a computer specialist. For common users, the most recommended is the above, since trying to solve the problem can worsen the situation of your computer.