Notifications are likely to arrive. new updates available for iOS on your Apple device. Each new version of the iOS system incorporates security patches that keep your device more secure. In addition, it is common for bugs to be corrected or small improvements to be made, which will always be aimed at making you feel even more pleased while using your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
Installing iOS updates is really a fairly simple process and can be done in different ways. In the following article we explain how to install iOS operating system updates for your iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. I invite you to continue with us, we already started.
Table of Contents
What to know before installing iOS updates
There are several ways to install new iOS updates on your iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. You should know that one of these is through a wireless connection, with internet access.
In case you have versions later than or equal to iOS 14.5, you will surely see two update options. First of all, you will be suggested to update to the latest system version, iOS 15. As a second option, you can continue to use the iOS 14 version and continue to receive support and updates from it.
As a security measure, I suggest using iCloud or your personal computer to create and save a backup the current status of your device. In case you are unable to install iOS updates from your device, you can try other ways, such as using a Mac or PC. Next, we explain each of these.
Install iOS updates wirelessly
To install new iOS updates on your device wirelessly, a WiFi connection to Internet. It is common that if there are new updates your device notifies you.
In the event that a notification appears indicating that there are new updates to install, you can press on Install Now and so you update your iOS system. However, if at that time you cannot or do not want to perform the update, you can choose the option “Later”. This option gives you the option to remind you of the update later, or “Install at night”. To access the latter you just have to connect your device to the power and it will update automatically.
In case this route does not work, or you do not want to do it, you can also follow these steps:
- Connect your device to the power and to the internet via a Wi-Fi network.
- In device settings go to Settings -> General. In this menu press the option Software update.
- If you are shown more than one upgrade option, choose the latest version of your system current if you want to keep the same.
- Then press on Install Now. You may see an option to Download and install. Click on it to download the update. Next, you must insert your code and press the Install option.
Even if your device is updated to the latest version of your system, you may see an update to a higher version of the system as such. If you want to change the system, for example, from iOS 14 to iOS 15, choose this option.
It may also be that some updates cannot be installed over-the-air.
Another way to installiOS updates is automatically by the device, but first you have to configure it. You can tell your device to perform these updates overnight. To configure it you must follow these steps:
- Go to the menu Settings -> General -> Software update.
- Click on the option Automatic Updates.
- In this case you have two options. If you just want to download new updates automatically when they’re available, then install them manually, turn on “Download iOS updates”. In case you want the whole process to be automatic, activate the option “Install iOS updates” too.
Install iOS updates from a Mac
If you can’t update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch wirelessly, you can. using Finder on a Mac. It is necessary that before updating you create a backup copy of your device on the computer or in iCloud.
The steps provided in this option are for the version of macOS Catalina or higher. You must also have your Mac connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
To install iOS updates with your Mac device, follow these steps:
- Firstly, connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computerr via a USB cable.
- Opens Finder.
- Your device should appear in the sidebar on the left. Select it.
- Select the option general, and press the button Check for update.
- press on Download and update and follow the instructions provided by the wizard.
- It could be that you are asked to enter your access code, in this case enter it without any problem.
Install iOS updates with iTunes
If you don’t have a Mac, or your Mac has a lower version of the macOS operating system than Catalina, you can install iOS updates using iTunes.
First of all, you need to have ITunes installed on your Mac or PC. We also recommend backing up your device to iCloud or to the same computer. On the other hand, you have to have the computer connected to the internet through a Wi-Fi or Ethernet network.
Follow the next steps:
- Firstly, you need to open iTunes on your Mac or PC running Windows OS.
- Connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer using a USB cable.
- Find and press the button for your device located on the iTunes toolbar.
- In the tab corresponding to the option Summary, Press the button Check for update.
- Then press on Download and update and follow the wizard instructions.
- In case you are asked for the access code, enter it.
What to do after the iOS update is installed
Once you have installed the new iOS updates on your device you must accept the license terms to complete it. This is the time to review the details of the update and whether new features have been added. You can also use a wizard to configure the new settings introduced. Following the on-screen prompts will have no problem getting your version of iOS fully up-to-date and functional.