Updating Nvidia drivers is a must for any user who constantly seeks to maintain acceptable PC or laptop performance over time without having to modify hardware to some degree. Updating the drivers is a super important task, not only for performance, but also for compatibility with new tools and applications.
From designers, programmers, analysts and gamers, all those who have their equipment as their main work or entertainment tool, must know the method by which to keep the equipment updated as well as possible and much more in the case of graphic cards which are one of the fastest evolving components on the market. Let’s see How to Update Nvidia Drivers on Windows 10 and Mac OS?
Update Nvidia drivers in Windows 10
There are several ways to update the Nvidia driver in the Windows operating system and specifically in Windows 10. Windows Update can automatically update them but usually with a delay to take into account and without any additions as if we will find them in the Nvidia packages.
Therefore, the most appropriate and convenient is to directly access the Official Nvidia Site where you can find the necessary drivers for your specific component. In addition, you will be able to know a little more about the facilities and advantages that it can offer you with work tools and the exact specifications of the same.
In case you just want to download your drivers to solve a problem, here are the steps to achieve it without any difficulty:
- Access the Nvidia driver download site.
- Enter your Nvidia card model and click Look for.
- Find the latest driver and click Download.
- Click on Download again.
- Once the driver is downloaded, run the installer and select Save as.
- Leave the route as is unless you have a specific reason to change it and do click on To accept .
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the driver installation.
Why can’t I update my Nvidia drivers on Windows 10?
The procedure for updating the drivers or drivers does not always end in a successful result, there may be complications that are a bit difficult to detect and solve. The reasons why you may get an error sign instead of a correct installation confirmation are as follows:
- Corrupt installation file: This happens mostly when we use download managers or when we have problems with our Internet connection. The only solution is to download the driver again.
- Incorrect driver version: Nvidia drivers are typically compatible with a range of products depending on their generation. In the event that the graphics card is not supported within these, either because it is no longer supported or because it is too modern for the driver version. You must throw us an incompatibility error and not let us install them.
- Installation via GeForce Experience: Complaints have frequently been filed about failures when downloading the drivers by this application, so if it is being used and you have problems updating your device, we advise you to carry out the procedure manually with the steps mentioned above.
- Driver installed but with problems: In the event that you suffer some inconveniences after installing the driver, such as blue screen, performance problems or incorrect screen resolution, it is advisable to uninstall the driver by accessing the device through safe mode and always download the latest version without leaving any trace from the previous version.
How to update Nvidia drivers in macOS?
Entering the world of Macs, working with drivers in general becomes much easier. Thanks to the good implementation of the MacOS system updates, we will be able to keep, most of the time, our internal devices with the latest drivers. Keeping the device up-to-date is much easier than Windows due to the nature of Apple-brand devices, since they have defined characteristics at the hardware level depending on the model, unlike conventional PCs.
In the event that you encounter problems with the automatic update, you can always perform the task manually directly from the official Nvidia site through this link.
The steps to successfully download the update are as follows:
- Access the download link.
- Enter the link of the most updated driver and check if it supports the hardware of your device, in this case the support of your graphics card.
- Download the latest version of the driver that supports your hardware.
- Run the file and follow the instructions.
Before updating, we also recommend having a system backup in case any inconvenience occurs during the installation, in addition to reviewing the product support found within each of the download possibilities.
You should be aware that you will not always find the exact driver version for your specific device and in that case you will find your hands tied. You should not install versions of the driver that do not support your hardware, in this situation it is best to access the support of your device.
Why should I update my Nvidia drivers?
The graphics card of our device is one of the components that most influences the final user experience, especially for demanding users. Nvidia is the company that holds 83% of the graphics card market today, reigning undeniably.
Many speak of the personnel dedicated only to the work of updating the drivers of the components manufactured by the company such as the Nvidia army, this denotes the importance that the company gives to the support of its products and the real importance of these drivers. There are several comparisons of the same graphics card with different versions of drivers, showing that it does influence performance significantly, especially in the case of latest generation graphics cards.
Not only will keeping our graphics drivers updated will help us in the performance of the final experience, but it will also avoid incompatibility with recent applications and will fix errors detected in previous versions.
While updating an Nvidia driver will generally result in improved performance or the same level of performance with more stability, there is always the possibility that an update will lead to a new bug or hardware conflict. This is why you sometimes have to roll back a driver after installing it. It’s also the reason why you might want to refrain from updating Nvidia drivers unless you have a real problem.
Frequently asked questions
- What is the latest version of the Nvidia drivers that I can download? The latest version depends on whether you need Nvidia Game Ready drivers, GeForce graphics drivers, or one of a large number of game controllers. Game Ready drivers appear on a once-a-month frequency, while many controllers don’t follow a regular schedule. Your best bet is to visit Nvidia’s driver download site regularly or install Nvidia’s GeForce Experience application to make sure you’re not missing anything.
- How do I update Nvidia drivers if I’m running Windows 8? As long as you’re running Windows 8 on a 64-bit system, you should be able to update your Nvidia drivers manually. Visit the Nvidia Driver Download Site; next to OS , select 64-bit Windows 8 , select from the other drop-down menus and find the appropriate drivers for your Nvidia product.
- How do I update the Nvidia drivers if I am running Windows 7? As with the Nvidia drivers for Windows 8 (see above), if you are running Windows 7 on a 64-bit system, you can find the appropriate drivers for your Nvidia product through the Nvidia driver download site.
- How do I update the Nvidia drivers if I am running Ubuntu Linux? After installing the Nvidia drivers on an Ubuntu system using the Ubuntu Graphics PPA page, you will automatically receive regular driver updates from the PPA, so your system will stay up to date.