To the Online ID function to activate and being able to use your ID card on the World Wide Web at any time is no more than a few simple steps. So that you are still not alone in the rain, we will help you to master all the steps for activation below. We will also explain to you what the online ID function actually brings you and what is necessary for it.
Activate the online ID function: Here’s how
If you finally want to activate the online ID function of your ID card, you should first check whether all the requirements for it have been met. So, first of all, you should inquire whether this is the case. You can easily inquire at the local registry office that is responsible for you, where you also applied for your identity card. A smartphone with NFC function is also required.
In addition, you should already install AusweisApp2, which is appropriately available for both Android and iOS devices from Apple. You will also need the transport PIN, which you will use until the data stored in your ID card has been decrypted (with a PIN that you have specifically set for this purpose).
In order to activate your ID card for the online functions, only a few steps are necessary after your preparation. Logically, you should have your ID ready as soon as the function has been fundamentally activated. As already mentioned, this is done by every citizen office for you completely free of charge, if you have not already received it with the first application.
Activation step by step
Once you have made sure that your ID card can be used on the Internet at all and that you have downloaded the app and provided you with a PIN, nothing stands in the way of activation. In the following we explain step-by-step how you can activate the online ID function:
- First open the “AusweisApp2” on your smartphone or tablet.
- Now decide on the point “Change my (transport) PIN”.
- The app then asks what type of PIN it is. Answer with “Five-digit transport PIN”.
- Now the NFC function of your smartphone or tablet comes into play. You simply hold your ID card against the back of the device. If this is not recognized immediately, you can slide the ID back and forth a little and try again until it works.
- You then enter the temporary transport PIN that you received from Bundesdruckerei by post or email, and then enter your six-digit desired PIN.
- If you have followed all the steps properly, the online identification function should now be activated.
What is the point of activating the online ID function?
Once you have activated the online features of your ID card, you have several options available to you. They are particularly useful for the following activities:
- opening a new bank account on the Internet
- identification at certain self-service machines in offices and authorities
- the online application for a vehicle registration
- deregistering an insurance via an online account
- Verifying your age on the Internet in order to access content or services that are subject to the protection of minors and to conclude risky banking transactions
If you do not use the uncomplicated online functions of your ID card, you will have to identify yourself in person to the respective position every time. This can quickly become an annoying, unnecessary matter, especially in the digital age.
Conclusion: Activate your ID card online too
It’s super easy to activate your online ID function once you know how to do it. We won’t let you down and with our step-by-step instructions nothing will go wrong. We also explain to you which mistakes you should absolutely avoid when copying your ID card.
Sources: identity card portal, chip