iOS 15 is the latest version of Apple’s operating system for iOS-compatible devices. It was released on September 20, 2021 and it can be said that it is an improvement of the previous version of iOS. The improvements are focused on widgets, notifications, applications such as FaceTime and Maps, as well as security and sharing. If you want to know the compatible devices and the news and improvements that iOS 15 brings, continue reading this article.
Table of Contents
What’s new in iOS 15
There are many new and evolving features in this version of iOS in iOS 15, including:
- Focus mode: This mode finally comes to iOS. It can be configured on all devices at the same time. You can configure the applications that can show notifications when this mode is activated, as well as the times and locations in which it is activated and deactivated. Additionally, additional modes can be created to further customize the options of this mode. When this mode is activated, contacts who try to communicate through messages are sent a message informing them that the focus mode is activated on their device.
- Facetime: spatial audio is also introduced during video calls. In addition, the voice isolation option is added to improve the experience and quality of video calls. Portrait mode is also introduced, in addition, in this new version other users can join a video call through links and calendar events added, this allows Windows and Android users to join a video call. SharePlay is a new feature that allows you to share your screen and music during calls.
- Live text: Another of the most striking novelties of iOS 15 is that it allows you to copy text from photos stored on the device, displayed in Safari or from the Camera application. To use this function, simply touch the image and select the text that we want to copy from it and then copy or translate the content.
- Maps: The maps of the application are renewed, new functions are added such as elevation information of the intersections and monuments, more details are shown in a general way.
- Safari: the built-in web browser in iOS has been redesigned. Tab groups were added, which can be shared. The home page has been modified and extensions are allowed to be used for the first time.
- Application privacy report: In Settings, in addition to app settings, you can see how often installed apps access your camera, microphone, photos, and location.
- Siri– Improved assistant performance and security as speech processing is done on the device. Offline support is improved, which means that using Siri in many system apps can be done entirely on the device.
- Posts: functionality is added shared with you which allows media shared through the app to be displayed in the app corresponding to the app. For example, if someone sends you a photo it will show up in the Photos app.
- Notifications: now it allows grouping a summary of received notifications to show them later. The way in which they are displayed was also redesigned, slightly increasing the icons and photos of each one. It is also possible to mute applications and conversations in messages.
- iCloud+: it is now possible to create a unique and random email address with Hide My Email, this allows you to use it so you don’t have to share your personal email address. It also allows you to create email addresses with a custom domain name.
- Offline ‘Find My’ Tracking: iOS 15 allows that from iPhone 11 you can know the connection of the device even when it is turned off.
- Other changes: installing operating system updates now requires less space than in previous versions of iOS, now you will have more space to install applications and also to save personal data and multimedia. The new function of drag and drop between applications is one of the features that will help the user to save time especially when performing productivity tasks.
iOS 15 Compatible Devices
This new version of iOS can be installed on all devices compatible with iOS 14. As a curious fact, the iPhone 6s reaches its seventh year of updates with this update. Below all the devices compatible with iOS 15:
|iPhone 13 ProMax|
|iPhone 13 Pro|
|iPhone 12 ProMax|
|iPhone 12 Pro|
|iPhone 12 mini|
|iPhone 11 ProMax|
|iPhone SE (1st generation)|
|iPhone SE (2nd generation)|
|iPod touch (7th generation)|