So now the main moderator Michael Antwerpes (58). As the “Sportschau” announced on its own website on Thursday, the Winter Olympics in Beijing are now taking place without the most important ARD face on site. Antwerpes was therefore tested positive for the corona virus before departing for China and will not be able to travel. The 58-year-old will be replaced by Markus Othmer (56).
Antwerpes is already the fourth moderator of the station who fails for the on-site reporting. Lea Wagner (27) also had to cancel due to a virus infection and was unable to travel to the Far East. The moderator Claus Lufen (55), on the other hand, has been stuck in a quarantine hotel since entering the country. After the flight, he was found to have the corona virus in a mandatory test.
Claus Lufen: “I will not be negative”
Just a day ago, Lufen said in an interview with the “Bild” newspaper: “I’m not going to be negative.” He is in isolation in a four-by-four-meter room. All his tests have been positive so far, but he needs two negative tests on two consecutive days to be able to do his job.
It was announced more than two weeks ago that the journalist and doping expert Hajo Seppelt (59) will not travel to Beijing for ARD. He also submitted a positive corona test and did not board a plane to China for the time being. From broadcaster circles it was said that he initially wanted to work from the joint Olympic studio of ARD and ZDF in Mainz. It was not clear at this point whether he would fly later.