If you Open Google Street View want to get even more out of the map function of the search engine giant, this is child’s play. We’ll show you how to find this helpful tool on Google Maps.
Open Google Street View: What to expect
Google Maps has been one of our constant companions in everyday life for years. Are you in a foreign city and want to know where the nearest restaurant is that is worth visiting? Or are you on vacation and wondering which sights you can visit on your trip? If you just want to get from A to B as quickly as possible, the tool can also be of help. But to get your bearings even better, it can help to quickly open Google Street View.
There are many different things you can do with Street View. It doesn’t matter whether you want to click through the urban canyons just for fun or want to get a picture of your next holiday destination in advance: With Street View you can discover the whole world almost as if you were actually at the point you have selected . Thanks to the Street View gallery, you always have an image in front of you.
Open Google Street View via Google Maps: This is where the function is hidden
To open Google Street View, only a few simple steps are required. Depending on whether you are currently on a PC or laptop, or you are looking for the tool on your mobile phone, we have an explanation ready for you.
Street View on your smartphone
On your smartphone you have several options to choose from to use Google Street View. You can search for a location, set a marker or use the so-called Street View layer.
Search for a location or set a marker
- Open the Google Maps app on your smartphone (or tablet).
- You can then search for a specific location or simply place an approximate marker on the map. To do this, simply press and hold the location on the map.
- Now tap the name or address of the place below.
- Now scroll further down and choose the photo marked “Street View” or the thumbnail with the corresponding arrow symbol.
- Finally, tap the “Back” arrow in the top left.
- Open the Google Maps app on your smart device.
- Now tap on a placemark.
- Now tap again on the name or address of the place below.
- Scroll down and select the photo marked “Street View” or choose the Street View icon with the arrow.
- Finally, tap on “Back” in the top left corner.
Per Street View level
- Open the Google Maps app on your phone or tablet.
- At the top, tap Layers > Street View.
- If an area on the map is highlighted in blue, it is available for Street View. Tap one of the blue lines to open Street View in Google Maps.
Street view on computer
Of course, Google Street View can also be opened if you use a computer instead of a smartphone or a PC. On the one hand, you can easily use Google’s map function by searching for an address or a place and then clicking on the Street View symbol. The “Pegman” symbol with the yellow figure can also be used by dragging it onto the area to be explored.
How to use Street View to explore places
After you’ve managed to open Google Street View, you’re probably wondering how you can finally use the tool to explore places that are completely foreign to you. Fortunately, this is quite simple and intuitive. You just move your mouse in the desired direction to be able to look around. The pointer of your mouse becomes an arrow with which you can determine the direction.
The “X” marks the spot to which you move by clicking. You can also look around by dragging the image back and forth with the mouse. The arrows to the left or right of the compass can also be used as an alternative. If you want to take a closer look, you can zoom in and out with the mouse (or “swipe” on the touch screen). With the button at the bottom left you get “Back to the map”.
More tips and tricks for Google Street View
To find out more about what else you can do with Google Street View and how to report an image that you think should be censored better or that you find offensive, visit the provider’s official website. We’ll tell you which Google Earth coordinates can be particularly scary. We also have the seven most important Google Maps features for 2021 ready for you.
Sources: own research, Google