Even if you eat a reasonably healthy diet, you may be unconsciously grabbing it again and again carcinogenic foods. Not all of them are recognizable at first glance, the best example of this is milk. Experts have therefore been advising for a long time to at least pay attention to the quantity of dangerous products.
Warning, these 5 foods are carcinogenic
For many, one piece of news in particular is difficult to digest: meat, especially popular varieties such as beef, pork, but also lamb, contributes to an increased risk of cancer. This increases even more if the foods that are already carcinogenic smoked or cured became. Likewise leads searing of meat or charring on the grill to the fact that carcinogenic substances are produced, reports Deutschlandfunk, citing the German Cancer Society.
According to the assessment of the WHO and Stiftung Warentest, not only meat, but also other staple foods and products have long been considered demonstrably dangerous because they promote or accelerate the growth of cancer cells: sausage, milk, sugar and alcohol.
How big is the risk from these carcinogenic foods, depends largely on the amount consumed. According to the WHO (via Stiftung Warentest), every third cancer can now be traced back to poor nutrition.
Do not exceed these amounts for carcinogenic foods
According to the Stiftung Warentest, certain and very specific quantities should not be exceeded for some of the carcinogenic foods, even if a Of course, 100 percent protection is not possible is. The verdict is particularly harsh because, for example, stimulants such as beer, wine and gin can cause cancer in any quantity. Anyway, at least that’s possible reduce riskif this is known.
- #1 Sausage, ham and other processed meats: “As little as possible” is the verdict of Stiftung Warentest on the recommended maximum quantity. Since 2015, these foods have been classified as “carcinogenic”, i.e. carcinogenic. Studies have proven the risk. who no more than 50 grams a day Eating it prevents your risk of colon cancer from increasing by 18 percent, according to the WHO.
- #2 Red meat: Steak, minced meat and co. are considered “probably carcinogenic” foods and should therefore not be consumed excessively. Maximum 500 grams per week is the recommendation. notice: Poultry, game and offal are not included.
- #3 milk: In the case of milk, the amount is particularly crucial. Between 0.2 and 0.8 liters per day should protect against colon and breast cancer. Men are advised against no more than 1.25 liters per day drinking it because the amount of calcium it contains may increase the risk of prostate cancer.
- #4 Sugar: The food sugar is not directly carcinogenic, but excessive consumption can indirectly lead to a higher risk. Obesity is considered the third biggest factor in cancer and is also linked to sugar. Accordingly, the recommendation is “Avoid being fat“.
- #5 Alcohol: Even if we already know it, but according to Stiftung Warentest “every glass is critical”. The WHO warns that “alcohol increases the risk of cancer in any quantity”. Seven types of the disease – in the oral cavity, esophagus, throat, intestines, liver and breast – can be traced back to alcohol. In general, alcohol should therefore be avoided completely. If you can’t do this, you will a maximum of one drink per day (women) or two drinks (men) suggested. A drink refers to 0.1 liters of wine or 0.3 liters of beer.
In general, pay attention to a healthy diet: it has a cancer-preventing effect
If you want to actively protect yourself against an increased risk of cancer through your own diet, you have a number of options. In addition to the maximum consumption quantities of known carcinogenic foods specified by the experts from the WHO and Stiftung Warentest, health can also be influenced. This includes, above all, paying attention to a healthy diet. This can also ensure better blood values:
- Eat lots of grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables
- Drink only a few sugary drinks
- As few salty foods as possible
- Avoid fast food, it is high in fat, starch and sugar
The following tips from the German Society for Nutrition (via Cancer Information Service), which are not explicitly intended to prevent cancer, can also help to strengthen and maintain health:
- choose whole grain
- Supplement your selection with foods of animal origin
- Use health-promoting fats
- Prepare gently
- Watch your weight and keep moving
Other preventive measures against cancer
The World Cancer Research Fund’s American Institute for Cancer Research provides additional guidance on how to reduce your risk of cancer. In addition to the right diet, it is helpful, for example, to pay attention to weight and avoid gaining weight at the same time. But other measures can also have a positive effect:
- Be physically active in everyday life
- Do not resort to dietary supplements for cancer prevention
- Mothers: Breastfeed babies if possible
Conclusion: keep an eye on carcinogenic foods
You don’t have to give up your daily eating routines and favorite foods. However, if you want to protect yourself better, it is advisable to eat small amounts of the carcinogenic foods in your diet. A healthier diet can also have additional effects such as improved physical fitness, better ability to concentrate and generally better well-being.
by the way: Did you know that 3 “brain foods” can increase brain power? There are also so-called superfoods that can also do you good. Different with the following foods. A study reported an interesting finding about a purely vegetarian diet.
Sources: Stiftung Warentest, Deutschlandfunk, Cancer Information Service, World Cancer Research Funds